20 February, 2013

Goats Yelling Like Humans Pays in the Workplace

Less is more. That's my motto on many things, and it seems the Leadership Industry agrees. Recently I've read several articles and discussions about redefining the work day, task load, focus...all in the name of increased productivity.

This morning Fast Company issued an article about slacking at work as a productivity tool. I've been part of discussions about European culture: are their shorter work days and long holidays signs of laziness - or smart productivity? Working in 90-minute intervals turns out to be a prescription for maximizing productivity, The New York Times writer Tony Schwartz points out. It seems that in a post-industrialized world, many experts are guiding us to believe less is more.

But what if these adaptations don't work for your business? Businesses succeed because they are open at the convenience of their customers, not the productivity demands of employees. My agency operates a 24-hour hotline that helps victims of violence. We don't have the flexibility to lighten schedules or workload without victims being unserved. Crisis doesn't wait for productivity breaks or coincide with 90-minute work intervals.


My solution: leadership flexibility. My version of this is to allow for humor and unexpected fun. Relax if the lunchroom discussion runs longer than the lunch period. It's good for camaraderie. Encourage small talk, humor, and brief intervals of off-work conversation. 

Our staff takes frequent humor breaks. They aren't scheduled - they're as needed, which is more effective. When I hear everyone laughing momentarily, I know they will have a more productive day. These moments reset us and are a great morale boost. I even sometimes initiate these breaks, sending silly videos or jokes to begin conversation. The result is a better workplace.

Yesterday's humor came to us via yelling goats. After laughing hysterically for a few moments, the afternoon seemed much more enjoyable and productive. Click here to enjoy them as well...and see if your productivity benefits.


7 comments:

  1. I like how you combined yelling goats and human productivity. LOL

    But I agree about having informal, fun breaks, and being flexible with time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who wouldn't combine yelling goats and human productivity? :-)

      Delete
  2. I think a workplace where one feels free to laugh and have sidebar discussions, shows one where people are not afraid of their boss/supervisor. No one should work in a fearful environment. These moments also sometimes lead to great creative solutions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Christine! (I hope I'm not a scary boss..haha)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it depends on the type of work that's being done. I can be at work and be tip-tapping my keyboard all day long responding to an unending demand from clients and colleagues via email. I'm ridiculous busy. But I'm not super-productive. I think a crisis-hotline, while taxing and mentally and emotionally grueling is a different type of work than strategic, creative, or project development. A restaurant, retail store, hotline, educational setting (especially for younger students), represent work that isn't conducive to 'less is more'.

    Strategic planning, nonprofit development and marketing, and other thought work could benefit from pulling back and rolling in short bursts of focused time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brett - thanks for your comment! I sympathize...there are many days I never leave my desk and yet don't seem to get much done. There are many businesses who benefit from these breaks, as in the nonprofit admin sectors you mentioned (a.k.a., my job), but like you said too many businesses just can't be that flexible. I'm interested to see if the studies being conducted lead to social/cultural changes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just reread my comment... I would say that built in breaks are absolutely necessary though: sprint then rest, regardless of the activity. Built in breaks could prevent the breakdown. If you've not seen it, I'd Google the Pomodoro Technique. I use that in my sales job on a regular basis. It provides two benefits: (1) Makes a game out of keeping me focused for 25 minutes and seeing how much I can accomplish before breaking for 5 and (2) helps me track how long it takes me for certain projects and has some built-in 'interruption' identifiers to help me truly sprint in one direction vs. following 100 different squirrels around the yard and not catching any of them.

      Delete